Trying some new mediums

Now that I've completed some painting in our new home I am coming back to my illustration work with a fresh perspective.  I've got the itch to continue the hands-on feel of painting and maybe do a bit of collage.  So the other day I picked up a gouache set and started playing on some Bristol paper.  (Yes, I know this isn't the best surface to paint on, but I couldn't find the box with all my artist papers in it.  Later, my husband discovered the box was the foot rest under his desk).  After the gouache dried a played a bit with some colored pencil and then ball point pen.  Now this work is by no means a piece of art, just a subject to play with.  He's actually loosely based off a Bigfoot I created for a friend's birthday card last year.

 I can't wait to play more with the medium and start to throw some collage in there.  I still love Photoshop to death so I think I'll be doing parts of my pieces traditionally and then working them more in Photoshop.

Inspirations for this new direction in paint and/or collage: 
Clare Fennell
Holli Conger
Jenn Ski
AnnaLaura Catone

I am also trying to work on my hand when creating my characters.  In the past I have found that I get caught up in the details of a person or animal and they lose the movement and excitement I had initially intended.  Another of my goals in addressing my style is to simplify and strengthen the lines of my characters.  Lets see how it goes!

If you liked this post you might like these:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...